Saturday, July 26, 2008

Days III, IV, V

Western Week. I went dressed as a very boring looking cowboy but ended up looking like a lumberjack with a cowboy hat.

In rowing I had to rearrange a few boats since two of the boats had holes in them. And no slow and steady leaks either. More like something you would see out of a cartoon. A pinhole that's squirting a stream a good three inches in the air when you sit in it.

A bit of chaos occurred before during and after the water balloon toss. Instead of investing in water balloons we ended up buying regular balloons. So, these could be filled with a ridiculously large amount of water and would end up the size of a small basketball.

This meant that it takes a lot to get these balloons to pop. Plus they needed to be heaved with great force.

As usual a few of the staff (including me) stole a few of the balloons so we could attack people later. After that we headed back into the staff lounge. I found Victor staring out the window with a balloon in his hand. We tried to figure out who the target was going to be. I ended up throwing it. But instead of hitting it's target it few towards one of the containers. I was nervous with the thought of wasting a water balloon on a large metal box but instead it flew between the canopy and the container and almost hit a kid in the head (pictures of space to be posted later).

The campers who became frustrated with their lack of ammo threw a basketball through the open window. Victor and I waited a few minutes before returning fire. I tossed the basketball out the window where in nailed a kid in the chest which immediately sent him to the ground. It turned out that he was more shocked by a basketball falling from nowhere than injured.

Shortly after that Victor found another smaller water balloon in the freezer.

Helped Bryan with the mile swim and cleaned up after work with a scuba mask on.


DAY IV

Went on a fuel run with Lauren. Picked up a few issues of "The District".

During rowing a few campers buried one of their own up to his head in sand. He used a snorkel to breathe and we have a few pictures somewhere of the final product.

I guess there was a seal in the water. This was never confirmed. Either way, we had to have the campers get out of the water for a few minutes just in case it was rabid.

Had some milk and cookies for lunch.

Lunchtime Game : Run Paddle Run
I got a little arsty with the camp digital camera.

J.P. and I found out the amazing burning qualities of your average blue card.

Bit of a backstory for this next one. I get bored at work. Anyone does. And instead of converting to the usual drug or alcohol abuse, I do little "science experiments" in the kitchen. Most don't get more complicated than your average "Try It!" experiments from Bill Nye.

I went through a phase of freezing things. So, I put a few metal utensils in a coffee cup and arranged them in a "modern art" sort of way. I left them in the freezer for a while and removed i later. I tried to remove it by way of the hot water heater we use for the cup o' noodles. I didn't expect the ice to come out so quickly so the coffee mug hit the floor and shattered. Once the evidence was removed I began to parade around camp with the cup o' utensils.

After showing it around for a bit someone asked if it was solid ice. I replied, "Yes" while flicking the bottom of the block, which cracked a hole in it and water began to drain onto my feet. So, I ended up carrying a semi-hollow ice sculpture around for a few minutes before I became bored with and destroyed it on the beach.

MILE SWIM

Bryan and I only had to deal with one camper this week. But James and Tim came along too for company and whatnot.

During the trek we did the following:
  • Bryan talked in a Norwegian accent while I performed Eddie Izzard stand up routines while doing a very poor impression.
  • Saw one of the most ridiculous looking party boats ever "Star Party Cruises".
  • Almost got run over by a guy who was on his bluetooth while driving a boat.
Messed around with Mike's rear view glasses when out of nowhere a random canoe came onshore. By the way, it was full of chicks and to make it even more odd, they all knew Robbie.



DAY V

Read the newspaper. Bryan noticed that every animated movie except for Wall - E had the "Family Approved" seal on it.

Helped out with motorboating. Picked up a huge stack of OC Weeklies, LA Weeklies and Districts.

Went to the bowl and had random conversations based on the articles with Bryan, James and Steve while the campers played some soccer.

Had the most anemic potluck ever. With not one but two types of crock pot chilli (provided by Vince and I) A bunch of dip with a few bags o' chips and some soda. There were other items, but I can't remember any of them at the moment.

Lunchtime Game: Obstacle Course.
I was in charge of the zipline which used the rubbercoated dive brick that we use for swimming and lifesaving. As the campers would finish I would ask them to hand me the rope, at that moment I would let go of another rope which would cause the 8lbs of bricky death to plummet towards them. Got some amazing reactions.

Since Friday was Mike's last day we had to get him in the water one way or another. To make a long story short we did. It just took 7 of us to get him in.

No comments: